Last Update: May 17, 2016
This Privacy Statement applies to our Family Of Websites (“any website we own, identifiable by those websites which include or redirect to a site which includes ‘theeducatorcollaborative.com’ within the url”), herein referred to as “our websites.”
SECTION 1 – WHAT INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT, WHEN, AND WHY?
There are several ways we collect information about our customers to help us improve our services, outreach, and the user experience. Our goal is to create content and develop websites that you find valuable, informative, and enjoyable. Collecting information allows us to deliver this information to you.
We collect the following information:
- Information supplied during Purchases or Registrations: When you purchase something or register for something from our websites as part of the buying and selling process, we collect the personal information you give us such as your name, address and email address in order to process your payment and provide you with the related product or services.
- Passive information we gather: When you browse our websites, we also automatically receive your computer’s internet protocol (IP) address in order to provide us with information that helps us learn about your browser and operating system so the site functions displays properly and to ensure website security. We also collect some user and usage data through third party cookies to help us better understand who browses our websites. Please see the “Cookies” section below for specifics.
- E-mail Communication: We maintain several email lists, when you interact with one of our emails we sometimes collect information, through third party software, on information such as if the email was delivered, opened, or any links were clicked. This information helps us better understand the types of emails our audience and customers prefer and do not prefer so we can better tailor what we send. We neversell or share our email lists with third party companies or organizations.
- Social Media Communication: We maintain several social media accounts to connect with our customers, as you are likely aware, all social media platforms collect a variety of usage and interaction data and can provide this information to account holders. This information is typically not tied to personally identifiable information unless you specifically use an account you own to interact with us (e.g. using your Twitter account to reply to one of our Tweets), in which case we would know you interacted with us. In most other cases we are able to understand general trends. This information helps use better communicate with our audience and customers.
- Mobile/Device Communication: When you interact with our websites or e-mails over any device we sometimes collect, through third party software and platforms, information on the type of device used, the operating system used, and other related information. Typically, this information appears without personally identifiable information, meaning, we are able to see trends in the types of devices our audience and customers are using to browser our websites, however we typically do not know which device you, specifically, are using.
- Interaction with our Online Events and Offerings: When you attend an event or offering online we may collect your likeness in photos, videos, words, images, or work (e.g. such as our “Study Series” in which you may type into a chat box or during our Twitter chat in which you type and share using an assigned hashtag). When you interact in an online event or offering you consent to our recording, in any form, and redistribution, in any form.
- Surveys and Contact Forms: On occasion, we distribute surveys through our website or other forms of communication and we always maintain a variety of contact us forms. When you complete a survey or contact form you provide us with information of your choosing. We have put measures into place to protect your sensitive information. Your communications with us are invaluable to providing you services, information, and troubleshooting support.
By browsing our websites, purchasing or registering for our products or services, or interacting with our e-mail and social media communications, you consent to share this data with us.
SECTION 2 – WHAT THIRD PARTY COOKIES OR ANALYTICS DO WE USE AND WHY?
Collecting the above listed information (SECTION 1) is an important part of tailoring our websites, communications, services, and outreach to our audience and customers. We use a variety of tools to do this, relying on some of the industry’s most respected providers because your privacy is important to us. Many of these ways have been described above (SECTION 1), in this section we go into further detail around data, analytics, and insights we collect through third parties.
- Payments: Our payment gateway is hosted by Stripe, Inc. If you choose the direct payment gateway to complete your purchase, then Stripe stores your credit card data for the length of time necessary to complete your purchase or maintain your subscription, whichever case applies at anytime. Your payment information is not stored on our website or our severs and is instead encrypted during the transaction period. This meets the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI-DSS). Your purchase transaction data is stored only as long as is necessary to complete your purchase transaction or subscription payments. After the payment or subscription window is complete, your purchase transaction information is deleted. All direct payment gateways adhere to the standards set by PCI-DSS as managed by the PCI Security Standards Council, which is a joint effort of brands like Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover. PCI-DSS requirements help ensure the secure handling of credit card information by our store and its service providers. For more insight, you may also want to read Stripe’s Privacy Statement here.
- Site analytics: Our websites makes use of insight cookies and tracking that provide us with information on our audience and customers’ behaviors on our websites. This helps us know information such as our number of visitors, where they are visiting from, the links they click, and other related browsing behaviors. This allows us to learn about these behaviors and improve our website design, content, and in general provide a more useful and engaging experience for our audience and customers.
- Advertising insights: Our website makes use of advertising cookies and tracking to collect data on our audience and customers. We use Twitter-owned, Facebook-owned, and Google-owned services. This information is typically represented to us without personally identifiable information. This data helps us in tailoring information to our audience and customers that better meets general needs and interests. Note that third party advertising platforms may collect user data through our websites for purposes of conversion tracking and serving ads targeted to users’ interests and this data or these ads may be served beyond our websites.
- E-mail Lists:
- Newsletter Lists: Some of our marketing email lists are double opt-in, meaning you must first enter information on a form on our website and click “submit,” then you must also receive a confirmation email and click the second link provided in that email in order to fully opt-in and begin receiving communications. If you wish to not opt-in you may ignore the email sent to you. You also may opt-out at anytime via a link provided in our email newsletter or by contacting us.
- Functional Lists: Some of our emails and newsletters are functional email lists, which provide information related to a product purchase or event registration and the functional email list provides you with necessary information to participate in addition to occasional marketing. These lists are not double opt-in because your product purchase or registration automatically implies your acceptance to receive those related emails. You will not receive an opt-in email as you are automatically added based on your purchase or registration. With both types of email lists, you may opt-out at anytime via a link provided within the functional emails, however we strongly suggest you do not, as you will no longer receive information for attending those events. You may opt-out at anytime via a link provided in any functional email or by contacting us.
- Procedural Emails: There are some emails delivered to complete purchases or notify you of the purchasing process, your cannot opt-out of these types of emails because they involve receipts, payment information, or registration information. The only way to opt-out of these final types of emails are to not make purchases or registration on our websites.
SECTION 3 – HOW DO YOU GIVE US CONSENT TO COLLECT YOUR INFORMATION?
It is important to us that you understand how we collect your information and the options you have regarding your information.
- Event/Support/Registration/Purchase Consent: When you provide us with personal information to complete a transaction, verify your credit card, place an order, arrange for a delivery or return a purchase, complete a contact form, or provide personal information over a survey, you consent to our collecting it and using it for that specific reason only.
- E-mail Consent: If we ask for your personal information for marketing, we will either ask you directly for your expressed consent, provide you with an opportunity to say no, or with the option to opt-out at any time.
- Browsing/Social Media Consent: When you browse or use our websites or interact with our social media accounts, you consent to our collecting site analytics and advertising data, including through third party cookies or analytics.
SECTION 4 – HOW DO YOU LIMIT OR WITHDRAW YOUR CONSENT?
The best way to ensure you do not share your information with us is to not interact with our websites, products, services, social media accounts, or e-mails.
Of course, we find your interactions with us valuable and use collected data to improve those interactions. There are some options for limiting or withdrawing your consent:
- E-mail opt-out: All of our newsletter and functional emails include an opt-out (and account details update) link in the footer of the email. You may use this at any time.
- Advertising insight opt-out: In the case of conversion tracking on our websites, users may opt out of interest-based advertising through the Do Not Track functionality in their web browser or through such other methods as described from time to time by third parties (e.g. Twitter may specify from time to time at https://support.twitter.com/articles/20170405or a successor url).
- Site analytics: In the case of site analytics, users may opt out of site analytics tracking through the Do Not Track functionality in their web browser or through such other methods as described from time to time by third parties.
- You may contact us at any time via email at: Contact@TheEducatorCollaborative.com or mailing us at: The Educator Collaborative, LLC,P. O. Box 5807, Astoria, New York, 11105 with your questions or requests and we will do our best to resolve or answer your query.
Note that some methods of collection are necessary to the proper functioning and security of areas of our website, including our payment gateway, and therefore the best way to ensure no further information is collected may be to stop interacting with our websites or using our services.
SECTION 5 – WHEN CAN WE DISCLOSURE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION AND UNDER WHAT LAWS?
We may disclose your personal information if we are required by law to do so or if you violate our Terms of Service in such as way as we find it necessary to seek damages or other restitution.
Our company is located in the United States in the state of New York. You agree to have any and all interactions with our websites to be governed by these federal and state laws and regulations regardless of where your interaction originates.
SECTION 6 – WHAT SECURITY MEASURES HAVE WE PUT IN PLACE TO PROTECT YOUR INFORMATION AND WHAT ARE THEIR LIMITS?
To protect your personal information, we take reasonable precautions and follow industry best practices to make sure it is not inappropriately lost, misused, accessed, disclosed, altered or destroyed.
Our websites are HTTPS/SSL Certified and have active and certifiable certificates. Our payment gateway is PCI-DSS compliant. We have taken other steps to protect our websites and your data.
Note that no interactions, data management, or privacy protocols are 100% reliable and effective. The only way to ensure your data’s privacy and safety is to not share it. If you do choose to share it, keep yourself informed of safe internet practices, including keeping your operating systems and browsers updated regularly.
SECTION 7 – ARE CHILDREN ALLOWED TO USE OUR WEBSITES?
Our websites are intended for adult use. By using our websites, you represent that you are at least the age of majority in your state or province of residence or that you are the age of majority in your state or province of residence.
If our company is acquired or merged with another company, your information may be transferred to the new owners so that we may continue to sell products to you.
SECTION 9 – WHAT IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR NEED TO CONTACT US?
If you would like to access, correct, amend or delete any personal information we have about you, register a complaint, or simply want more information, contact our Privacy Compliance Officer at Contact@TheEducatorCollaborative.com or by mail at The Educator Collaborative, LLC, ATTN: Privacy Compliance Officer, P. O. Box 5807, Astoria, New York, 11105. We will do our best to address your query or inform you of your available options.